I have read somewhere that most of the gluten is removed from wheat starch hence I braved making my own wrapper for shrimp dumpling. Oh my, it was difficult… However, I think it was worth it as it satisfied my cravings for some good dumplings. :)
Here’s how I made it –
1 lb of peeled and deveined shrimp
2 tbsp of minced water chestnuts (or bamboo shoots)
1 tbsp of minced scallion (white part only)
1 tsp of finely grated ginger
2 tbsp of minced pork fat
3 tsp of soy sauce (gluten-free)
2tbsp of Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
½ tsp of salt
2 tsp sesame oil
4 tsp tapioca starch, potato starch, or corn starch
A dash of white pepper
1½ cups of wheat starch, plus extra for kneading
2 tbsp of tapioca starch
1 cup of boiling water
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
1. Mince the shrimp and add in all the ingredients for the filling.
2. Mix until everything is incorporated and the mixture almost has an elastic feel to it. Set aside and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
1. In a large bowl combined the wheat starch and the tapioca starch together.
2. Make a hole in the circle of the bowl and pour the hot water in.
3. Add the oil and combine until a ball of dough starts to form.
4. Transfer the dough into a floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth.
5. Divide the dough into 3 pieces and form it into a cylinder shape. Cover it with a damp towel or napkin and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
6. After 15 minutes cut the cylinder into 1 inch diameter and about a quarter inch thick pieces.
7. Roll the dough out into round pieces until it’s thin enough. :D
8. You can make the wrappers 1hrs or 2hrs before you need it. Just remember to cover it with a damp towel or napkin.
(How to Wrap)
1. Traditionally, there are about 7 pleats per dumpling. Pleat the wrapper with however many pleats you can muster. :D
2. Take your filling (about 2/3 TBSP) and place it in the middle of the wrapper.
3. Seal your dumpling. Use water if necessary.
1. Lightly grease your bamboo steamer so that the dumplings won’t stick.
2. Place the dumplings on the steamer and cook for about 10 minutes.