A friend of mine asked for the recipe for this when she saw my earlier post. While I told her I don’t really follow a recipe for this dish maybe it’s high time that I put what I do into writing. 🙂
So here you go.
6 to 7 eggs (you can also use 5 whole eggs and 3 egg whites). This is enough to fill a 3×4 muffin pan.
salt and pepper (to taste)
1/4 green bell pepper, diced
1/4 red (or orange) bell pepper (for colors), diced . I used orange here.
a cup of sausage (pork or beef, etc), diced. I used turkey here. Some people use bacon. 🙂
8 buttons of crimini mushroom (or any mushroom of your choice), washed and sliced
1 stalk of scallions
dash of basil (optional)
1/2 cup of grated cheese of your choice
1. Beat the eggs thoroughly. I used a mixer here but you can just use a whisker or even a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Please do note that if the sausage is already seasoned well, you may not need to add salt anymore. My husband made that mistake when he attempted to make this for us. 😀
2. If you are using uncooked sausage, put that in the lightly greased frying pan first for about 5 minutes. For bacon, cook it until it’s crispy. 🙂
Add the rest of the ingredients except for the cheese. Simmer for another 5 minutes, and then set aside. (While you are doing this, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.)
3. Grease your muffin pan lightly before putting about a tablespoon sauteed mixture in. Pour in the egg to about 7/8 or as shown below. Top with cheese of your choice (I used skim mozzarella here). Typically, eggs frittata is cooked on a baking pan. I prefer muffin pan because it’s easy for leftovers. 🙂
4. Bake this in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
5. This is best served when it’s still hot. 🙂
TIP OF THE DAY for Gluten-free cooking: To ensure that it will be gluten-free, please make sure that the sausage you are using doesn’t have flour or just use bacon. 😀